Saturday, March 12, 2016

Week #3: Seeing Results

After Week #1 of the Whole30, where I was fighting my sugar cravings daily, and Week #2 where I battled The Cheesecake Fiasco (and won!), I was so ready for Week #3, and ready to see some results from all my hard work!

DAY #15:
Another snowstorm.  Another day home with my two kids, hoping to find one more idea for entertaining a 7- and 4-year old.  My mood matches the weather- bleh.  I'm having a bit of food boredom, so I plan to spend part of the day looking up new recipes and maybe moving outside my comfort zone a little.  I'm craving a nice, juicy hamburger so I make my Whole30 Ketchup and enjoy a hamburger with sauteed mushrooms, homemade fries (potato wedges with olive oil and salt), and roasted cauliflower.  I didn't necessarily miss the bun.  I can't believe Mrs. Bread-eater doesn't really miss her bread. Weird. Peanut butter? Now that's a different story.

DAY #16:
I used the leftover potato fries for breakfast and fried up some egg to make a quick and easy hash.  Lunch was leftover chicken stir fry, and I made supper easy by doing a crockpot meal tonight.  Just as I normally do, I made a roast in my crockpot with veggies and mashed potatoes, but I had to get creative with gravy.  This is where the Whole30 forum comes in handy- there's usually someone out there who has the same question as you do.  There's also usually someone out there with some answers.  Typically, I would use my juices from my roast and add a little cornstarch mixed with water and some beef bouillon to make gravy.  I didn't have any compliant flour or arrowroot powder (because, honestly, who has those things just laying around?).  I decided to make gravy from the yummy vegetables I had put into the crockpot with the roast- the celery, onion, and a bit of carrot (I kept most of the carrots whole to eat with the roast).  I added these to my food processor and then just added some of the beef broth back in to thin it out.  It actually tasted quite delicious!  I also made bone broth for the first time, and put some into jars to freeze.  I'm starting to enjoy this cooking stuff!

DAY #17:
Getting up at 6:15 a.m. has never been easier.  Maybe it's the smell of sausage, eggs, and coffee being made in the kitchen (even after hubby dropped out of the Whole30, he still offered to make breakfast for me- an added advantage to being on this diet), but I'm not even tired when I get up.  I don't have to hit the snooze button repeatedly.  I just feel good.  My energy level is much more stable, and I finally understand what everyone meant when they said "your head will be clearer". I feel like I have a better handle on my emotions, too.  Is it my mind playing games on me? Maybe. But who cares. I'm happy. Supper tonight was leftovers. I'm getting better at making sure I use everything up to save on my grocery bill!

DAY #18:
Today was the day I treated myself for making it over halfway through my first Whole30. Before Day #1, I scheduled a one-hour massage for myself, and then told myself that the only way I could keep the appointment was if I made it to the halfway point.  Not that I thought I was going to quit, but it never hurts to have an incentive in place, right? :)

Supper tonight was salmon with citrus sauce (taken from the halibut recipe in the Whole30 book), salad, and asparagus.  I also have been obsessed with reading about others' Whole30 journeys, and I discovered something one blogger calls "Monkey Munch".  It's just a mixture of sliced bananas, unsweetened coconut, and some nuts (either almonds or pecans for me, but you could use cashews or another nut of your choice).  It has helped me get through some sweet cravings, and I'm guessing I will still have it as a snack option even after my thirty days have passed. 

DAY #19:
I'm actually a little sore from my massage but not complaining- it was heavenly!  Breakfast was leftover potatoes and fried egg.  Salad for lunch, and leftover salmon and roasted cauliflower for supper.  We had poker night with friends at our house tonight, and I made myself a "mocktail", consisting of LaCroix Sparkling Water, a little lime juice, some grated ginger, and sliced strawberries for garnish.  YUM! Note: As I mentioned earlier, vodka or rum will be a great addition to this drink once I've completed the Whole30. 

DAY #20:
Breakfast was scrambled eggs with whatever veggies I needed to use up in my fridge (peppers, mushrooms, etc.).  We were out of town for lunch so I had a Subway salad, with just iceberg lettuce and spinach leaves, with a little oil/vinegar for dressing. It wasn't great.  It wasn't even good. I've heard such great things about their salads, I was hoping it would taste better. I'm sure it didn't help that I had to have the veggie option and the greens weren't as fresh as I wish they would've been.  Oh well, at least I stayed compliant while eating out again! Supper was steak, roasted sweet potatoes, and green beans with caramelized onions.  Food at its finest!

DAY #21:
I am really starting to notice a difference in my skin.  It's much smoother, so I'm wondering if it's a particular food that is causing the bumps, or if it's a hormonal imbalance that is taking care of itself while I eat healthy food.  I had leftovers for lunch while the rest of the family cooked brats.  I overlooked muffins and cookies at bible class, and it's getting much easier to resist!  Supper was roasted whole chicken, roasted squash/carrots, and salad.  I'm starting to think about what my "life after whole30" might look like.  I also made a batch of chicken bone broth to have on hand.  I'm turning into quite the "foodie".

Stay tuned for my final week!

God's Blessings,
A Good Food Fanatic

   

No comments:

Post a Comment