Saturday, March 12, 2016

Week #2: The Cheesecake Fiasco

Well, I survived Week #1 of the Whole30- (yay!) I'm one man down (my husband cheated Day 7 as I mentioned in my previous post) but I'm still going strong! This week I started to notice more of the withdrawl symptoms, but I know I'm making myself more healthy and I'll make it through!

DAY #8: 
So. Tired. I really lacked energy today.  I had some menstrual cramps last night into today, my stomach is a little "off, and overall I'm just cranky.  I am frustrated that I can't satisfy my sweet tooth with some delicious dark chocolate and if I hadn't made a commitment to myself, I probably wouldn't continue.  But I promised myself 30 days and I will march on!

This morning I enjoyed leftover Sweet Potato and Chicken hash with a fried egg on top.  If you would've told me a week ago that I would be eating chicken for breakfast, I would've said you're crazy.  But it was delicious! I'm really starting to understand why breakfast is the most important meal of the day- it sets the tone for the rest of the day and makes a huge difference in my mood and energy levels! For the first time in a very long time, I wasn't feeling like coffee so I had just a few sips and then drank some lemon water this morning.  Perhaps the lack of caffeine contributed to my low energy and crankiness.

Lunch was the usual- romaine, chicken, and strawberries with herb citrus vinaigrette.  Supper was walleye and leftover cauliflower mash (if you haven't tried it, you definitely should! Don't expect a true "mashed potato consistency" but close enough and delicious!).

DAY #9:
Today I woke up with a headache and stiff neck but had much more energy than yesterday.  I'm still quite irritable (maybe because we had yet another snow day from school and I'm so over winter), but I'm feeling better today.  I enjoyed my usual scrambled eggs and sausage patties with my coffee for breakfast, and leftover sweet potato soup for lunch since I wasn't at work.  Supper was pork carnitas and green cabbage slaw- both were delicious! In fact, I ended up eating the leftover meat randomly throughout the week it was so good warmed up for leftovers.

DAY #10:
I woke up feeling good today.  It was another snow day but I didn't even feel like sleeping in (could that be because my four year old gets up at the crack of dawn?).  I had just a tad of the chicken hash leftover so I fried an egg and finished that with my coffee for breakfast.  I made the kids french toast, and it wasn't even too hard to smell and look at it without having any myself! Wow- this habit-changing must be working because this girl is a carb-addict!  I'm still a little irritable and dealing with the cravings after meals, but they aren't quite as bad as when I first started.

DAY #11:
Today was a good day!  I woke up feeling refreshed, and when I washed my face I noticed I don't have nearly as many small bumps under my skin!  This was one of the primary reasons I wanted to try the Whole30- to see if it made a difference in my skin.  I think it's working!  Cravings are down, especially after-meal cravings, but the first sweet thing I'm eating come Day 31 is chocolate, preferably a monster cookie energy ball.  Yum!

Breakfast was sausage with scrambled eggs and coffee.  My salad at lunch had a ton of fresh veggies- cucumber, red/orange pepper strips, hard-boiled egg, etc.)  For supper I made chicken stir fry.  It was so different not using the Stir Fry Sauce I typically make, and it was odd not putting it over white rice, but still really good!

DAY #12:
I felt great today! Breakfast was chicken hash w/ fried egg, and lunch was strawberries on top of a bed of spring mix with kale.  I turned down some co-workers asking to go to drinks after work because I just didn't feel like going out and just drinking water.  Most of the time that wouldn't bother me but today I didn't want the temptation.  I tried the blood orange drink from the Whole30 book and it made me feel like I was drinking my own cocktail! I will remember to add some vodka to this type of drink when I'm done with the Whole30, because I think it could be really good!

DAY #13:
Today I woke up with a headache and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the need for caffeine before 6:30 a.m. and I tried to sleep in?  Sausage/eggs for breakfast and just kind of felt "yuck" most of the day.  This was also my hardest day yet.  I'll refer to it as The Cheesecake Fiasco.  I'll preface this story by telling you that for two weeks my co-worker has been asking me if I want to buy tickets to the steak dinner they are having at their church tonight.  For two weeks I have gone back and forth on my decision, not because I have anything better to do, but because I remember how amazing the cheesecake was last year.  So one day I feel like I can totally handle passing on cheesecake while everyone else indulges and the next day I have a huge fear of giving into temptation.  So what was my decision?  I went to the steak dinner.  I politely passed on the dinner roll and corn.  I managed to discretely pull my ghee from my purse to add to my baked potato as the rest of my table loaded their potatoes with butter and sour cream.  I even brought my own salad dressing (I learned that lesson from Week 1 when I ate plain lettuce- gross!).  But then it was time for dessert.  I could've just passed but it looked so good, and I wanted to bring it home, put it in my freezer, and enjoy it with a cup of coffee in about 18 days.  So they brought it out to our table and I cannot accurately put into words what happened next.  It was as if I was a drug-addict and my body was fighting the urge to give in after thirteen days sober.  I started sweating and got really anxious.  My husband looked at me and said, "You need to just leave.  Get out of here and wait in the car."  And I did.  I had to leave!  He packaged it up in foil and brought it home to put in our freezer.  It was the oddest feeling I've ever had, and I'm convinced now more than ever that sugar can cause horrible, addictive behaviors.

DAY #14:
Today was SuperBowl Sunday.  I can't believe it, but I managed to actually go to a Superbowl party with friends and stay 100% compliant.  I brought a veggie tray so I knew I would have a healthy option to snack on.  I also brought leftover carnitas and fresh fruit so I would have something filling for supper while everyone else ate buffalo chicken dip and scotcheroo bars.  I even gave my best effort in a virgin, whole30 bloody mary by mixing V8 juice with celery salt and added olives and celery sticks.  It wasn't great.  The program also frowns upon drinking your calories, so drinking my veggies wasn't as great as I'd hoped.  I ended up drinking a can of LaCroix sparkling water and enjoyed the night with friends.


Looking forward to Week #3 post- where I start to really notice soaring energy levels!

God's Blessings,
A Good Food Fanatic

No comments:

Post a Comment