Sunday, March 13, 2016

#lifeafterwhole30

Now that I've completed my first whole30, the time has come to be honest with myself about what I've learned and work on life after whole30.  I waited a few weeks between ending the program and blogging about it to allow time for life to get back to "normal".  The authors of Whole30 call this "riding your own bike" and I feel like that's exactly what I'm learning to do.  I am no longer able to make excuses for not eating that brownie or not drinking that beer- I have to figure out when I want to splurge and when I want to simply pass on foods that aren't good for my body.

Here are my top ten takeaways from completing my first Whole30:

#10:  Where your calories come from matters.  I'll admit I used to believe that as long as you consumed less calories than what you were burning each day, you didn't have to worry about gaining weight.  Now, I realize that where these calories come from makes a huge difference in what they do for your body.  Eating 1000 calories worth of cookies, breads, and chips is not the same as eating 1000 calories worth of protein, carbs, and good fats that come from meat, vegetables, and nuts. 

#9: If you can easily make it yourself at home, don't bother buying it. Sometimes the convenience of store-bought condiments and food is worth the extra price.  Other times, it's just as simple (and more affordable) to make homemade versions where you can control the ingredients.  You'll have to decide for yourself, but here are a few of the foods I've started making on my own since doing the Whole30.  Still on my list to try: ghee (clarified butter), and almond butter.  I just purchased my first bag of peanut butter powder and it made delicious peanut butter!

Taco Seasoning
Ranch Seasoning (dry)
Ranch Dressing 
Mayonnaise
Whole Wheat Bread
Ketchup
Larabars (my favorite!)


#8. Eating healthy is expensive.  I'm sorry, but I can see why Americans eat so much processed food- the cost of healthy, fresh vegetables, meats, and fruits are way more expensive than boxed "food".  I plan on posting a few helpful hints I have for eating healthy on a budget...stay tuned.

#7. I have more willpower than I ever gave myself credit for.  Becoming educated on the food I was consuming was an added bonus for me.  I didn't expect to become so passionate about ingredients and good food.  Understanding what goes into some of those junk foods only motivated me NOT to eat them, which made staying 100% compliant that much easier.  Do your homework (and that's not just the teacher in me talking).

#6. Not all sugars are created equal.  So this one I already knew (hence the reason I wanted to do the whole30 in the first place), but I wasn't aware of just how scary this can be. After reading several books on this topic, along with watching a documentary or two, I learned a little history lesson about sugar.  In a nutshell, we are naturally attracted to sweet foods.  In nature, as hunters and gatherers, we were taught that if we found food that was bitter it may be dangerous (toxic), where as if it was sweet it was probably okay to consume.  The natural sweeteners found in nature (fruits, etc.) weren't the problem.  The issue came when we started consuming things like soda and candy bars, training the human brain to want more and more of the processed sugars that are several times more sweet than naturally occurring sugar found in nature.  It's no surprise to me that a study found sugar to be as addictive as cocaine. 

#5. I don't have to drink to have fun.  It's true.  There were at least five occasions during my thirty days where I was with friends, family, and/or co-workers and opted for lemon water instead of alcohol. And I still had a great time. Does that mean I'll never again throw some beers back on a Friday night? Ha, no.  But if I don't feel like drinking alcohol, I can choose something else and it doesn't bother me a bit.  How's that for growing up and not giving in to peer pressure? :)

#4.  Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  This one is something I've preached to my kiddos, but wasn't something I really thought mattered when it came to my own meals.  Before starting the Whole30, I would grab half of a bagel or a piece of toast to eat with my coffee as I drove to work each morning.  My energy levels peaked as my body was fueled with these carbs, but soon dipped when I wasn't getting those quick spikes.  Eating a breakfast with plenty of protein (sausage and eggs) set the tone for my day and kept me full until lunch.

#3. When I make a commitment, I stick to it.  This program had a bit of "tough love" built into it, and I think it was perfect (at least for me).  I needed someone to remind me that I'm in control of my food choices.  There are always going to be birthday parties, weekend getaways, holidays, and nights out with friends.  I made it through three snow days, two parent-teacher conference nights, numerous outings, a Superbowl party, and two game nights with friends- all with no slips, cheats, or "special occasions".  And it was all worth it.

#2. If you make eating good food a priority, you can afford it.  So now that I've mentioned #8 from above (eating healthy is expensive), I also have to admit that it was still very doable (for my family).  Instead of spending money on eating out or buying alcohol during those thirty days, I increased my grocery bill budget and it was almost a wash.  For anyone who drinks a 20 oz. bottle of pop or eats fast food for lunch each day, you might actually save money while completing your whole30.  Think about it: the average cost of a drive-through meal at McDonald's (or enter favorite fast food chain here) is right around $5-$7.  By bringing a salad to work each day (even with chicken breast, berries, dressing, and vegetables added), I still paid only about $1-$2 per meal.  I'm saving right around $20-$30 per week!  Take a look at your budget and see where you might be able to cut back.  Your wallet will thank you. 

#1.  Weight is not the only indicator of good health.  I may have already mentioned this in a previous post, but I want to shout it from the rooftops.   Just because my BMI is in the normal range, does not make me healthy.  A number on a scale cannot accurately reflect everything going on inside your body.  My mood, energy, and happiness were all affected by what I was eating.  If you want to be healthy, you have to start by eating good food.

So there you have it- my top ten takeaways from completing my first whole30.  Would you believe that I counted over 40 nonscale victories when I was done!  Yes, I lost a dress size and 6 pounds that I've kept off, but the other benefits far outweighed my weight and measurement numbers.  If you haven't done the Whole30 yet, what are you waiting for? 

God's Blessings,
A Good Food Fanatic

No comments:

Post a Comment